2 Alarm Fire in A Shopping Center – Las Vegas

station5.jpg lvfdeng5.jpg A fire in a shopping center on West Sahara Avenue late Sunday morning has been ruled accidental by Las Vegas fire investigators. There were no injuries in connection with the incident.

On Sunday January 27, Fire dispatchers received numerous calls at 8:50 a.m. that smoke was coming from the ZIA Record store located in the Westlake Center shopping complex at 4503 W. Sahara. Engine 5’s first due.

When firefighters arrived, smoke and flames were seen on the roof of the one-story brick building. Firefighters had to force entry into the store, which is currently under renovation. Complex management told investigators that the business, which was
once a bike and ski shop, has been vacant for approximately six months and was being renovated into a record shop. No one was in the store at the time of the fire. It was closed and locked.

Fire investigators estimated damage at $30,000. Damage was confined to the roof area and a small attic space over the main floor. There was light smoke throughout the business.

Fire investigators ruled the fire accidental; they believe it was electrical in nature originating on the front of the building at the roof. Fires of this type are common after it has not rained for several months in the Las Vegas Valley. Water seeps into walls and voids and comes into contact with electrical wires causing a short which starts a fire. Usually if the building is occupied, people can smell the
fire before it grows in intensity, but many times this occurs at night when the building is not occupied and the fire has a chance to grow. It is usually a passer-by who then calls in the fire, which was the case today.

There were no reported injuries. Firefighters from Las Vegas and Clark County worked the two-alarm incident together.

By Tim Szymanski PIO, Las Vegas Fire and Rescue / Submitted by The Caz LVFD

Leave a Reply