A $1 million historic home was destroyed early Wednesday after a fire swept through the 1875 building before firefighters had a chance to put it out. A piece of me burned up, said contractor F.P. Gorski, who has been renovating the house for the past 10 months. I lost all my tools. I lost my business. The fire was reported at 5:19 a.m. at 954 Danville Blvd.
Crews from the San Ramon Valley Fire Protection District arrived to find most of the 4,000-square-foot house in flames, said Assistant Fire Chief Richard Price. The fire was under control by 5:53 a.m., but by that point, the damage was done.
“It was 75 percent destroyed,” Price said. “It was two or three months from being completed.”
The fire was accidental, fire investigators said.
Gorski said “Grandma Humburg’s House” was built in 1875 and used to belong to one of Alamo’s original residents. It was moved in 1989 from its previous location, in the 3100 block of Danville Boulevard — the current location of Longs Drugs.
“We were getting ready to finish this,” Gorski said. “It has been such an arduous task.”
The owner of the house declined to comment on the fire. Gorski, who lives next door to the project, said that the owner and his daughter slept on the first floor of the house the night before.
Deputy Fire Marshal Mike Mentink, said the fire’s cause was electrical and that the blaze started on the second floor.
“The second floor is a big open area,” Mentink said. “It was
just wooden studs with exterior siding and a roof.”
At noon Wednesday, clean-up crews were still removing debris and working on power lines around the home.
Gorski climbed a ladder onto the second story and gingerly walked around looking for his tools.
“The devastation is total,” he said to a coworker.
Written by Contra Costa Times