Fairfield house catches fire: Space heaterwb could be the cause

A space heater in the garage may have been the culprit in a fire Monday afternoon that destroyed a home in east Fairfield, fire investigators said. Firefighters responded to the 2800 block of Cascade Court after receiving a call at 2:30 p.m. from a resident who saw flames engulf the garage of a neighbor’s home. The fire then spread to the attic, according to a fire department spokeswoman.

A ladder truck allowed firefighters to combat the blaze as it raged through the attic.

Once firefighters arrived and surveyed the scene, they found two dogs in the backyard. The brother of the home’s owner expressed concern that the dogs may have been in the garage. He breathed a sigh of relief after learning they were safe.

The homeowner’s wife told fire officials that her pets were show dogs that had won ribbons, which she said she stored in the garage.

The woman was later escorted into the home to collect any salvageable belongings.

A preliminary investigation led fire officials to believe the blaze was ignited by a space heater beneath a work bench in the garage, according to the spokeswoman.

The damage to the home was estimated at $350,000, according to a department spokesman, and the loss of personal property was about $100,000.

Firefighters also checked a Shasta Court residence to the rear of the smoldering home. Residents of that home used a hose to soak their shingle roof to prevent embers from setting it ablaze. Firefighters extinguished a few hot spots on the roof.

By Cecil Conley / The Reporter

Leave a Reply