Sacramento City fire spokesman Capt. Jonathan Burgess said the fire broke out around 5 p.m. at the residence on the 4000 block of 39th Avenue. The blaze destroyed the home that the family was renting.
Two firefighters were treated for burns, one to his ear the other to his face. It was unclear how badly they were burned.
Burgess said the fire appeared to have started from unattended food cooking on a stove. No one was home at the time of the incident.
Red Cross representatives were on scene to assist the displaced family.