Discarded cigarette ash caused house fire in Redding

Discarded cigarette ash into a trash can is being blamed for a house fire late Tuesday night that caused about $210,000 in damage, investigators said this morning.

Redding firefighters responded around 11:15 p.m. Tuesday on Third Street off Bechelli Lane.

Power lines were also down, and an ambulance was sent to the scene to help Dan Hubartt, who was injured and suffered minor burns.

The power lines were secured around 11:46 p.m.

Battalion Chief Shane Lauderdale said Hubartt discarded cigarette ash into a trash can outside the right-rear corner of the house about an hour before the fire started.

Beth Hubartt said she woke her husband up for a glass of water and it was then discovered that one entire side of the outside of their home was in flames.

She and her daughter, Cadey, safely got out, but her husband, Dan, who suffers from health problems, fell down as he escaped.

The fire was contained around 12:20 a.m.

No further information was available.

Redding
PHOTO BY ANDREAS FUHRMANN

Leave a Reply