SBCo Firefighters Rescue Woman from House Fire

Just before 03:00 A.M. this morning, San Bernardino County Fire Department responded to a structure fire in Phelan, California. The reporting party was an adult female who was the sole occupant of the residence. She told 911 dispatchers that she was trapped in her bedroom and unable to evacuate to safety. First arriving units from County Fire quickly located a female clinging to her bedroom window and were able to rescue her from the smoke filled residence. Personnel assigned to fire attack were unable to access the doublewide trailer through the front door due to what were described as hoarding conditions. Changing tactics and finding and entrance from the backside of the structure, firefighters located a fire in the kitchen and were able to extinguish the blaze confining the fire to the kitchen with minor extension into the living room. The resident was treated on scene for smoke inhalation but refused transport. No other injuries were reported. The Red Cross was requested for the displaced occupant. Sixteen personnel from County Fire responded to the incident. During the investigation, the resident stated that she had left the oven on in her kitchen to heat her house overnight and awoke to the smell of smoke. Damage was estimated at $105,000. San Bernardino County Fire Department reminds people that it is never safe to use cooking appliances to heat structures. Smoke and carbon monoxide detectors placed in every bedroom and every level of your home is one of the best safeguards for early notification of a fire. For more safety tips on safe residential heating during the approaching winter season, go to www.sbcfire.org and look under Safety Preparedness.

 

Source SBCo Press Release

Leave a Reply