Category Archives: Story Submissions

SBCo Firefighters Rescue Woman from House Fire

Just before 03:00 A.M. this morning, San Bernardino County Fire Department responded to a structure fire in Phelan, California. The reporting party was an adult female who was the sole occupant of the residence. She told 911 dispatchers that she was trapped in her bedroom and unable to evacuate to safety. First arriving units from County Fire quickly located a female clinging to her bedroom window and were able to rescue her from the smoke filled residence. Personnel assigned to fire attack were unable to access the doublewide trailer through the front door due to what were described as hoarding conditions. Changing tactics and finding and entrance from the backside of the structure, firefighters located a fire in the kitchen and were able to extinguish the blaze confining the fire to the kitchen with minor extension into the living room. The resident was treated on scene for smoke inhalation but refused transport. Continue reading SBCo Firefighters Rescue Woman from House Fire

Townhouse Fire Leaves Three Homeless

Continue reading Townhouse Fire Leaves Three Homeless

Early Morning Fire at Fresno Auto Shop

The Alpha Auto and Air Conditioning Specialists on Belmont Avenue near First Street was heavily damaged by fire early Thursday morning.

Fire crews were able to knock the flames down quickly but say about half of the business sustained heavy damage.

The owner of the business, James Agazarian, arrived on the scene while fire crews were still mopping up and said the damage seemed to be contained to the older section of the building. Continue reading Early Morning Fire at Fresno Auto Shop

House Fire Sends One Person To Hospital

No one was in the house when the fire started; one of the teens that lives in the house was down the street when a neighbor asked if he had a bar-be-cue burning behind his house.

He told them he was not using the bar-be-cue and ran home to find smoke coming from rear of house. He ran into the house and to his bedroom where he noticed smoke coming out around the bedroom door.

When he opened the door, the fire flashed singing his hair. He was taken to the hospital with minor smoke inhalation and to be checked out.

The teen told fire investigators that he had several electronic devices in his room such as TV, stereo, satellite receiver and electronic game systems. They were in the area where the fire started.

Fire station on donated land brings teaching opportunities

Two years ago, Las Vegas city councilwoman Lois Tarkanian approached officials from the College of Southern Nevada with an innovative idea to build a new fire station.

If CSN donated land near its Charleston Campus, the city would build a new fire station and include classroom space for CSN students, especially targeting those in the fire science program.

“All it is is common sense,” Tarkanian said, referring to the coming-together of public entities to solve common problems.

On Monday, Tarkanian joined several other city, state and education officials, along with Las Vegas Fire and Rescue members, to mark the grand opening of Fire Station 6. Continue reading Fire station on donated land brings teaching opportunities

Vehicle Fire Under Investigation LVFD

One engine responded to a report of a vehicle on fire in a driveway. When unit arrived on scene, truck was fully involved with fire touching the house at the garage, additional unit was requested.

When second engine arrived on scene, loud banging/popping noises could be heard coming from inside the garage. This is commonly heard as household items, such as aerosol cans, explode during a fire. Firefighters forced entry into the garage through the garage door to make sure fire did not extend into the house or attic.

When firefighters entered the house from the garage to search for any occupants, the body of a deceased male was found on the living room floor. Additional units were dispatched to the scene. No one else was not found in the house during the search. Continue reading Vehicle Fire Under Investigation LVFD

New Techniques, Technology Helping Las Vegas Heart Attack Victims

Las Vegas Fire and Rescue races to the scene of a heart attack victim. Firefighter and paramedic Mark Shaffer says he responds to heart attacks on almost every shift.

“We average about 18 to 20 calls at our station,” he said. “Cardiac, respiratory arrest is a pretty common occurrence.”

Once Shaffer gets the patient’s heart beating again, he has another job on that critical ride to the hospital. “Once we save the heart, it’s time to save the brain,” he said. Continue reading New Techniques, Technology Helping Las Vegas Heart Attack Victims

Las Vegas Fire

Cause of incident: Witnesses say they thought a bar-be-cue was burning behind the house at 1412 Maenpah Way. When they looked over the fence, they saw pine needles on the ground burning.

One neighbor got his garden hose and started to spray water on the burning pine needles on the ground, but the fire spread rapidly to a large pine tree in the yard and started to burn fiercely, then it extended to a utility pole. The neighbor said the fire got too hot and he evacuated the four other members of his family out of the house at 1413 Mezpah Way.

His house had light damage. Two adults next door at 1417 Mezpah Way thought it was a bar-be-cue burning also, when they looked out the window of their home, they saw the fire racing up the tree to the utility pole. Suddenly the fuse on the pole burned out (what is required to do in an emergency) shutting off power to the four homes. Continue reading Las Vegas Fire

Lightning Starts Fire In Northwest Las Vegas Home

Occupant was home alone and was in bed when storm came into area. She told fire investigators it started to rain very hard and then she heard a very loud crack which she knew was lightning. A few seconds later smoke alarms activated. She got out of bed and ran through house, she could not see any smoke but she could smell it.

She went outside to see if anything was burning, she saw heavy smoke was coming from the vents of the attic. She ran back inside the house to call 9-1-1 but the phone, electricity or nothing else worked in the house. She immediately left and went to a neighbor’s house and asked them to call 9-1-1. By then several neighbors were already calling. Continue reading Lightning Starts Fire In Northwest Las Vegas Home

LA County Lifeguards Take It Again at U.S. Lifesaving Association National Championships

Los Angeles – August 9, 2010 – The Los Angeles County Lifeguard Association (LACOLA) team has successfully defended their title and brought home their 24th consecutive United States Lifesaving National Championship this past weekend. Since the competition began in 1970, LA County has won the team title 37 times. The 2010 USLA Lifesaving Championships was hosted August 5-7 by the Huntington State Beach Lifeguard Association (HSBLA) in Huntington Beach, California. Continue reading LA County Lifeguards Take It Again at U.S. Lifesaving Association National Championships