Patrick Julius said he rushed home from work Wednesday morning after learning about a dryer fire at his Red Lion home.
He said he was relieved to see that his wife, Danielle Julius, and their five children — ranging in age from 3 to 9 years old — were safe.
“They were all in the house at the time,” said Julius, 34, a foreman at Leon E. Wintermyer Inc., a local construction company.
And their dogs, two Dachshunds ages 3 and 5, were rescued by Leo Independent Fire Co. firefighters, Julius said.
He said he got a call about 11:30 a.m.
from his wife, Danielle, who told him about the fire at their home in the first block of First Avenue.
Firefighters didn’t take long to knock down the blaze, he said. Officials at Leo Independent Fire Co. could not be reached for comment.
“There was a lot of smoke, and the basement got burned up,” he said. “We tried to go back to get some clothes, but there was so much smoke with this fire, everything is ruined.”
The family also lost most of their children’s photographs, which were in the basement, Julius said.
Moments before discovering the fire, his wife smelled smoke, but thought a neighbor was burning something, Julius said. Then the smoke detectors sounded in the house.
When she opened the basement door, smoke came up and began filling the house, Julius said.
She got sick from the smoke, but did not get medical treatment, he said.
“We haven’t gone through anything like this before,” Julius said. “We struggle as best we can and this happens.”
West Coast 911 firefighting news – The New York Dispatch