Tag Archives: New York

Firefighters rescue dogs while suppressing fire

Patrick Julius said he rushed home from work Wednesday morning after learning about a dryer fire at his Red Lion home.

He said he was relieved to see that his wife, Danielle Julius, and their five children — ranging in age from 3 to 9 years old — were safe.

“They were all in the house at the time,” said Julius, 34, a foreman at Leon E. Wintermyer Inc., a local construction company.

And their dogs, two Dachshunds ages 3 and 5, were rescued by Leo Independent Fire Co. firefighters, Julius said.

He said he got a call about 11:30 a.m.
from his wife, Danielle, who told him about the fire at their home in the first block of First Avenue.

Firefighters didn’t take long to knock down the blaze, he said. Officials at Leo Independent Fire Co. could not be reached for comment.

“There was a lot of smoke, and the basement got burned up,” he said. “We tried to go back to get some clothes, but there was so much smoke with this fire, everything is ruined.”

The family also lost most of their children’s photographs, which were in the basement, Julius said.

Moments before discovering the fire, his wife smelled smoke, but thought a neighbor was burning something, Julius said. Then the smoke detectors sounded in the house.

When she opened the basement door, smoke came up and began filling the house, Julius said.

She got sick from the smoke, but did not get medical treatment, he said.

“We haven’t gone through anything like this before,” Julius said. “We struggle as best we can and this happens.”

West Coast 911 firefighting news – The New York Dispatch

Three people injured in New York deck collapse

Three people viewing a house for sale in York fell from a second-floor deck when it collapsed Wednesday afternoon, according to York City Fire/Rescue Services.

Chief John Senft said injuries to the three people, who were taken to York Hospital, were not life-threatening. Their names were not available at press time.

Steve Hilt, a Realtor with Jack Gaughen, said he was showing the house at 223 W. College Ave. to a woman, her daughter and her son-in-law. The three stepped onto the deck from a second-floor door to the rear of the house, he said.

“I was the last one in line — I was a step away,” Hilt said. “I didn’t believe it at first . . . I ran down and grabbed the phone and made sure they were OK. Everyone was conscious.”

He then called 911, he said.

The call came in at 5:42 p.m., according to York County 911.

Firefighters were quickly dispatched. Arriving at the red brick house, they said they found the deck’s floor had separated from the house’s exterior and fallen diagonally to the ground.

Assistant Fire Chief Edwin Hamilton said the collapse was caused by “shoddy workmanship.”

“It was not properly secured to the building,” he said. “The devices holding the deck to the building were not large enough to support that much weight.”

He added the collapse “could have been a lot worse . . . If somebody would’ve been underneath it, they would have been dead.”

West Coast 911 firefighting news source – York Daily Record